Hundreds of new cloud services and edge applications can run on this new 5G digital backbone. In transportation, real-time communication helps improve safety and traffic flow for vehicles. Healthcare providers can monitor patients by remote, use AI to make accurate diagnoses, and help hospitals run more smoothly. Manufacturers can use 5G networks to run high-efficiency smart factories while retailers can create seamless experiences for customers.
While promising ultra-high speeds, low latency, and greater reliability, 5G revolution is but part of the story as there’s also an evolution in existing technologies with new generations of fiber, cable, Wi-Fi, and short-range technologies.
Open from Cloud to Edge
As most of you are aware, with the upcoming of the 5G era, our industry is quickly expanding from Public and Private Cloud to Central Office (CO), and to Edge at Radio Access Network (RAN). The availability of edge computing offers lots of previously unavailable applications such as real-time artificial intelligence and others.
The edge computing can dramatically improve user experience through cases like virtual reality games by decreasing its latency. These cases, however, show that Cloud and Edge infrastructure must adapt and evolve according to the demand of these applications.
Some of the Central Office requirements may apply to edge applications as well, hence, the overlap in the central office and the edge solutions we are offering. Offering the same solutions for Central Office and Edge simplifies the product SKUs and reduces the CAP and OP expenses.
5G RAN/Core Products for Telecom
5G Virtualized Radio Access Network (vRAN) Solution is the critical step for mobile networks evolution, promising to intelligently boost capacity, dramatically reduce costs, and enhance your experience.
Multiple Service Criteria and Base Station Densities Required
- To accommodate new applications, such as cloud gaming, AR/VR and smart factories, operators will need to evolve their mobile networks with flexible architectures to handle vast amounts of data, massive IoT devices and ultra-low latency demand. Legacy proprietary solutions are not enough and result in high operational costs.
- The spectrums used for 5G network, both sub-6G and mmWave, are higher than existing 4G LTE network. This requires much more base stations than it used to be in 4G era to reach the same signal coverage.
- Centralizing multiple access technologies such as millimeter wave (mmWave) radios, LTE and WiFi in one location will also be necessary.
Introducing a flexible and agile 5G network with a cost effective solution is an imperative topic for each operator.
vRAN with Cots Servers Enable A Flexible, Agile and Cost Effective 5g Network
One way that operators are looking to modernize the network is to adopt the virtualized radio access network (vRAN) which transforms the notion of proprietary hardware-based base stations into software-based that are more flexible, agile, and cost-effective.
The base stations in 5G era can be divided into three parts: radio unit (RU), distributed unit (DU) and centralized unit (CU). DU and CU and be deployed with commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) servers and virtualized network functions to bring benefits including:
The CAPEX and OPEX cost can be further saved since there are less hardware SKUs to maintain and the software defined functions can be managed remotely with less manpower.
5G vRAN Stacks Based on NFV Infrastructure
3GPP R15 has standardized the separation of the upper from the lower parts of the RAN. The base stations in 5G era can be divided into three parts: radio unit (RU), distributed unit (DU) and centralized unit (CU). DU and CU and be deployed with COTS servers and virtualized network functions. Operators can simplify the deployment of new features and algorithms for streamlining resource usage.
One DU can support multiple RUs with multiple access technologies including 5G NR and 4G LTE in different bands. Power x86 servers with FPGA or GPU based accelerators can process large amounts of digital signals processing in real-time to perform the CPRI-to-eCPRI conversion.
EP100 / EP120
The Best All-in-one Platform for 5G CU/DU/5GC/MEC and Private 5G Environment
- 3U Short-Depth Chassis and Front Service for Edge Computing Environment
- ONF Aether Project Demo in ONF Booth
- Flexible Sled Design for Various Sled Options
- Pooled Power Supply for Energy Efficiency
- OpenRMC Based System Management